RE: Preventing copying files

From: Corey Snow (Corey.Snow@us.logical.com)
Date: 10/31/02

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 13:25:17 -0600
From: "Corey Snow" <Corey.Snow@us.logical.com>
To: "Ricardo Lopez" <esnorre@yahoo.com>, <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>

Answer: No. If the directory is available in read mode, and users are
allowed to view the contents of files in the directory, there is no way
you can prevent copying of data from that directory, or even if you
could, there is no way to prevent a user from simply opening the
document and saving it someplace else.

Once you give someone access to read the content, you give up the
ability to control what they do with that content, unless you also
control (totally) the environment/platform in which they read that
content. But even then it would be extremely difficult.

Regards,

Corey Snow

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Prevent user from copy files to other drive
    ... Only by stopping them from having the ability to write to C at all. ... operation is a read and write (to target). ... someone copying files by denying read or write. ... You can do this via a GPO. ...
  • Re: Copy prevention
    ... > to prevent users from copying files ... > I'm using a Windows XP Home edition ... If an account can read a file, ... to any place where they have the ability to write. ...