FW: Can I delete Wscript.exe?

From: William Bartholomew (william@orlitech.com.au)
Date: 10/07/02

Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 07:26:08 +1000
From: "William Bartholomew" <william@orlitech.com.au>
To: <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>

It is my understanding that applications that execute script internally
(such as IE, Outlook, etc.) do not use WScript.exe but use the COM
wrapper around the Windows Scripting Host to execute this code. Deleting
WScript.exe most likely would not stop these applications from executing
script but would probably break numerous other applications (I believe
some installers call WScript.exe to perform certain tasks). You are much
better off using the Security Zone features that are present in IE and
Outlook to disable all scripts.

Regards,

William Bartholomew
Internet Developer
Orli-TECH Pty Ltd
"Your Innovative e-Business Partner"

Web: http://www.orlitech.com.au
Email: william@orlitech.com.au
Phone: +61 7 3292 0220
Fax: +61 7 3292 0221

Visit our online store http://www.instantit.com.au

This electronic communication (including any attached files) may contain
confidential and/or legally privileged information and is only intended
for the viewing purposes of the person to whom it is addressed. If you
are not the intended recipient, you do not have permission to read, use,
disseminate, distribute, copy or retain any part of this communication
or its attachments in any form. If you receive this email in error,
please contact us on +61 7 3292 0222 or by email and delete all copies.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Virus Scripts opening from e-mails
    ... Outlook does not execute script in HTML messages unless you have a really ... Most viruses spread by tricking the user into ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.general)
  • Re: Will Linux become as vulnerable as MS ??
    ... > beeing vulnerable to viruses. ... > that they know are executable, and execute intentionally. ... >> Linux, each distro is a little different, and even within the distro, ... > Since clicking on a script is easier than typing it's name, ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: vbscript fails to start windows application
    ... > I am trying to execute some applications from within vbscript using ... is the very same script that successfully starts aida32 ...
  • Re: vbscript fails to start windows application
    ... > I am trying to execute some applications from within vbscript using ... is the very same script that successfully starts aida32 ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)
  • Re: Small, understandable Forth
    ... intelligence from the word to the script. ... niclos file script files, but only in the directory in which they are ... \ there are required support vocabularies, ... RDROP EXECUTE DEFINITIONS; ...
    (comp.lang.forth)