Re: Security issues, purchasing a new, pre-loaded, Windows XP computer

From: Mike Lyman (mlyman@west-point.org)
Date: 10/08/02

Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 08:13:57 -0700
From: "Mike Lyman" <mlyman@west-point.org>
To: focus-ms@securityfocus.com

On 10/7/2002 at 8:53 PM Tijl Schoonenberg wrote:
>But.. why leave all features installed on his system? i.e. uninstall IIS,

XP Home should not have IIS.

>O yes... I think you already crossed the following: the Administrator
>password is EMPTY on any just-installed system running Windows XP. At
>least
>I noticed it on some XP Corporate installations and I think it's the
>default. So the first thing to accomplish is an Admin-password ;-)

While still an issue with physical access to the computer, by default, XP
local accounts without passwords cannot be used to access a computer from
the network.

>Getting (all) other accounts out of the Administrators-group (or giving
>them good passwords) might be a job as well as I noticed that users being
>created in the install-phase are put inthere (aargh, BILL! why?? heh;

Too many app installs break when users aren't admins. Some apps break when
users aren't admins.

Mike Lyman
CISSP
mlyman@west-point.org
pgp keyid 0xD7BBADAD

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [opensuse] SAMBA.
    ... Personally I would never set up sharing with no passwords, ... such insecure installations. ... Not on Linux, and Not on Windows. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: How can I secure a Debian installation?
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Setting some access rights on a multi-boot system
    ... Administrator account, on both installations and don't give those ... any other mounted disk can be seen as a simple data disk ... Then if each user doesn't know the passwords for the accounts on the other system, it will be more difficult for them to access it. ...
  • Re: Setting some access rights on a multi-boot system
    ... on both installations and don't give those ... passwords to the other user. ... logging into system for which he doesn't have the password. ... any other mounted disk can be seen as a simple data disk ...
  • Re: Running a single acount in OS X Admin and User combined
    ... > When you're running as administrator, you (or any program/script running ... and that's why drag-and-drop installations don't require a ... password for admins. ... If you're running as an ordinary user, ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)