RE: Database security

From: Kim Christiansen (kcn@carlbro.com)
Date: 09/18/02

From: Kim Christiansen <kcn@carlbro.com>
To: focus-ms@securityfocus.com
Date:  Wed, 18 Sep 2002 09:25:15 +0100

To put it short...

downsides:
no scalability (will fail on large workloads (even average) )
bad performance
hardly any security

upsides:
simplicity

My personal opinion is that I would *never* use Access for a secure
webapplication.
What you want to use is up to you and depends on your needs, for inexpensive
solutions I can recommend mySQL or if it fits your needs MSDE but a lot of
others could do the job...try searching google for other people experiences
and recommendations.

-kim

Relevant Pages

  • Re: access 2003
    ... security in access 2003. ... The data will go on the server and the program database ... than the alternative of creating an mde file. ... MDW file from the written record. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.conversion)
  • Re: setting a password on a button on the switchboard
    ... Could you send me the sample database for the fourth option (4. ... > Security in an Access database can probably be broken down into two big ... > points about being easier than User Level Security, ... > What type of data are you trying to protect? ...
    (microsoft.public.access.forms)
  • Re: access 2003
    ... security in access 2003. ... The data will go on the server and the program database ... than the alternative of creating an mde file. ... MDW file from the written record. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.conversion)
  • Re: Is this possible??
    ... I understand Windows security but since I've not seen A2007 live, ... The backend is on the server in it's own file. ... database, but everyone does not need to have access to tblwage which is ...
  • Re: Is it safe to use social securty number as intranet username? (long)
    ... > they expect us to use our social security number as a username. ... by some database application ... ... The gateway router runs radius for authenticating ... ISPs perform internet connection authentication) ...
    (comp.security.misc)