Re: Force user login after 15 minutes of idle time w/o using a screen saver

From: Kurt Seifried (bugtraq@seifried.org)
Date: 08/21/02

From: "Kurt Seifried" <bugtraq@seifried.org>
To: "Laura A. Robinson" <larobins@bellatlantic.net>, "Greene Paul" <greene_paul@bah.com>, <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 21:21:10 -0600

There are many situations where this applies, public lab machines, internet
cafes, etc. Setting these systems up is a real pain, do you get an admin to
log the user out each time they leave themselves still logged in, or force
customers to wait X time until that user's logon hours expire, or what.
Personally I find it quite irksome that this level of control typically is
only achieved with add on third party products.

Kurt Seifried, kurt@seifried.org
A15B BEE5 B391 B9AD B0EF
AEB0 AD63 0B4E AD56 E574
http://seifried.org/security/

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Family Computer Accountability
    ... Nice set of advisories Robear. ... set the accounts so that they cannot change their own password. ... Have a serious talk with your son about his internet use (remembering ... AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Using Admin Privileges while surfing the Internet
    ... I've found a handful of arguments for this practice, ... admin so that they can cruise the web (i.e., install Flash on the fly, ... I believe you will find others recommend against the practice. ... I've found that the internal network is connected to the internet thought a firewall, and all of the users have administrative privileges on their workstation. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Questio about Wi Fi
    ... OK, so being more clear in my first response, yes a wireless router is going to cost more, but at least it's a one-time investment that's worth it because you'll own it and it'll improve your security. ... And I'm almost certain that your cable company isn't going to beam Internet signals straight to anywhere in your house without going through your cable modem, if they did that then it would mean a much larger monthly fee. ... Some cafes will take a fraction of the profits that a telecom company will make when they install the service, while other cafes will put in a router and support and bill for it themselves, because they have to pay for their Internet connection and because they're not going to let you sit there and take up space without generating revenue for them. ... Tammy Fontenot wrote: ...
    (comp.sys.laptops)
  • Re: Making internet connection available to all users on win2k?
    ... > I am trying to make my win2k pro machine more secure due to recent ... > times except when I need to install stuff. ... > the internet just fine while logged in as Administrator, ... > to my restricted account so that the only time I log in as Admin is ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • THANKS! Re: MS Support viewing difficulty
    ... I don't use magnifier, ... the Admin account and all was fine, ... internet are my only solid and semi-reliable contact ... Click the Accessibility button. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)