Re: Another SUS / Autoupdate question

From: Igor' Spivak (urbanachiever@attbi.com)
Date: 08/08/02

From: "Igor' Spivak" <urbanachiever@attbi.com>
To: <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>, "Tosh, Michael J (N-Joule)" <michael.j.tosh@lmco.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 09:28:28 -0700

> Has any set up an MS Software Update Service server on their network? We
do
> not want any Product ID information to be accessible to ANYONE outside of
my
> organization, including MS. If anyone has the SUS running, does it
forward
> the Product ID, Product version, Plug-and-play information, and IE version
> of each computer that connects to it to one of the MS servers?

AFAIK no, the SUS server doesn't seem to log any specific information of the
kind about the clients that use it. Also SUS server doesn't seem to log IPs,
just a uniquely generated ID number of the client and various status flags
on update success, etc.

My plan is
> to maybe point this SUS Server to itself for auto updates, give it no
> gateway address so it can only work inside our organization, and manually
> move any updates over to it from another PC on our LAN.

you could do that by manually coping the windows update catalog and all the
patches from the MS Download sites, but that is a chore. By default SUS
server synchronizes with windows update and downloads the catalog and
updates either on admin specified schedule, or by the admin manually telling
it to.

Alternatively, you could use SMS to push updates. My question is, what are
you hoping to accomplish by manually synchronizing the SUS server?

cheers,

IDS

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SUS and laptops working Offline
    ... updates unless they are attached to the LAN. ... >computer needs to be able to connect to the SUS server ... >torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • SUS Clients and GPO problem
    ... I have been struggling with SUS with AD for a week now. ... I have Installed SUS Server which is working just fine. ... Reschedule Automatic Updates scheduled installations ... buts thats not happening the registry is not being updated.. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Patch Management
    ... I have never used it myself but Microsoft SMS is the not free patch ... >> you can download the updates to your SUS server from Microsoft, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: SUS downloading XP SP2 with error code 407
    ... Go to your SUS admin page. ... The w2k DC SUS server is configured to automatically download updates ... Automatic Sync Started- 29. ...
    (microsoft.public.isa)
  • Re: Not sure if this is the right place but
    ... Note that the free version will only install critical updates and security ... SUS needs to be installed on a IIS server. ... installs operating system critical updates and security rollup packages. ...