FW: secure remote management of nt4 and w2k servers

From: Collins, Michael D.(IT Security & Comms) (Michael.Collins@elan.com)
Date: 08/01/02

From: "Collins, Michael D.(IT Security & Comms)" <Michael.Collins@elan.com>
To: "'focus-ms@securityfocus.com'" <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 16:59:00 +0100

I have a project to look at remote management software for remotely
controlling a mixture of nt4 and w2k servers.

I have looked at VNC, PC Anywhere 10.5, Net support manager, Intel LANDesk,
Dameware, RAdmin and Net ops.

Should I just stick to terminal services on the 2000 boxes?

Requirements:-

1. good auditing (who is using tool, where they are connecting to, what
they are doing and how long session lasts );

2. speed across LAN, 56k and ISDN dial up; and

3. IP Address filtering (need to be able to restrict users to
particular IP addresses).

Has anyone else carried out a similar review or seen a similar published
review. If so, I would appreciate if u could point me in the direction.

What would be the preferred solution of the NTSecurity community? All
advices appreciated.

Michael

IT Security, Athlone, Ireland.

This communication and any files transmitted with it may
contain information that is confidential and may be privileged and exempt
from disclosure under applicable law. It is intended solely for
the use of the individual or the entity to which it is addressed
that any use, dissemination, or copying of this communication
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please notify the sender.

Thank you for your co-operation