Re: Fw: Setting Account Lockout Policies with a NT PDC

From: H C (
Date: 07/29/02

Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 10:41:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: H C <>
To: Jason Radtke <>

> I want to set the
> workstation local accounts (the local admin account
> is the only active local
> account) to specific lockout policies (account
> lockout duration, account
> lockout threshold and reset account lockout counter)
> without having to go to
> each computer to configure.

This is fairly trivial to do w/ a Perl script.

Do You Yahoo!?

  • RE: account lockout problems
    ... Yes immediate lockout. ... informed that the account is locked out. ... >>> Do You Yahoo!? ...
  • Re: Username Vulnerability???
    ... Open Server Manager> highlight the PDC ... Password Policy and Account Lockout Policy are both ...
  • Re: OU group policy and how to use ldapsearch to find GPO settings
    ... The account is a domain account. ... Account Policies effective for all domain accounts. ... Your ldap query is seeing the settings that are in use for the domain. ... If I configure the account lockout policy in the default domain policy, ...
  • Re: Replication of password resets/unlocks
    ... Assuming that the reg key AvoidPDCOnWan isn't set passwords will be sent immediately out of band to the PDC when changed on a local machine. ... I haven't dug into the specifics but I believe that occasionally it will check with the PDC to see if the account has been unlocked but not for every auth attempt, this is so a PDC will not be overwhelmed by attempts to auth a locked account. ... The idea behind auto lockout is to prevent brute force systems from sending thousands of passwords an hour to crack a password, if that is the case, then setting the lockout policy to 25 bad attempts and locking the account out for say 5 minutes is just as good from a security perspective; it will seriously impact the ability for a brute force attack. ... From the usability standpoint, it will only lockout users who have really screwed up with their password and give them just enough time to realize they really screwed up but take less time than a call to the helpdesk for an unlock and replication of the unlock meaning that if they call the helpdesk for a rest, the only mechanism that comes into play is the one in the first paragraph above which works fine. ...
  • Fw: Setting Account Lockout Policies with a NT PDC
    ... I have already configured the account ... account) to specific lockout policies (account lockout duration, ... > Subject: Re: Setting Account Lockout Policies with a NT PDC ...