RE: Exporting GPOs from Active Directory

From: Brad Judy (judy@colorado.edu)
Date: 07/23/02

From: "Brad Judy" <judy@colorado.edu>
To: "'Laura A. Robinson'" <larobins@bellatlantic.net>, "'David Vincent'" <david.vincent@mightyoaks.com>, "'Focus-Ms (E-mail)'" <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 08:50:33 -0600

Microsoft will be releasing a "Group Policy Management Console" add-on
that will allow for export/import of GPOs in addition to a large number
of other features including a lot of scripting functions. It will have
to be run on a .Net machine, but will work with a Windows 2000 based
Active Directory. I think it is based on licensed pieces of FAZAM, but
I do not know for sure.

Unfortunately since it must run on .Net Server it will not be released
for download until after the release of .Net Server.

It was demoed in a session at the MS TechEd conference in April and they
even demonstrated exporting everything from a test domain and then
importing it into a new production domain.

It doesn't help you now, but you can look forward to better GPO tools in
the future.

Brad Judy

Information Technology Services
University of Colorado at Boulder