Re: Can I shut down individual TCP connections?

From: Williams, Kevin (kwilliams@sark.nospam.com)
Date: 07/02/02

Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 12:11:07 -0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)
From: "Williams, Kevin" <kwilliams@sark.nospam.com>
To: Scott Weeks <surfer@mauislanwanman.com>

My suggestion is that you can kill the process that has the connection
open. Normally, I would suggest "fport.exe" from Foundstone.com, but it is
really flaky (if it works at all) on XP. The best thing you could do long
term is to install a personal firewall, like ZoneAlarm, Sygate, Tiny, or
Norton. These will alert you to every process (executable) that wishes to
open an Internet connection. You can decline at that time, or at least be
able to determine what process has what connection open.

Kevin

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Scott Weeks wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> Please let me know where to go if this isn't the correct place to ask
> this type of question.
>
> I'd like to be able to terminate particular TCP sessions and not affect
> any others. For example, I saw the following tonight:
>
> TCP Lono:3280 andybent.com:http SYN_SENT
> TCP Lono:3281 sanaga.itu.ch:http ESTABLISHED
>
> and I wanted to kill the andybent.com session. (Who the hell is this
> anyway?) All I could really do is kill my connection to my ISP and
> terminate every TCP connection. Anyway to do kill just one or a couple
> of the existing TCP sessions without affecting the others?
>
> Thanks,
> scott
>

> ps. I was asked to provide info like the OS, etc. I'm rumming XP home
> edition 2002 (unfortunately) on a gateway (major cheapie) with an intel
> celeron 1.2Ghz. I'd assume, though, that there'd be a dos command that'd
> run across most all flavors and not just across a stripped down and
> tweaked nt which is what xp home edition is...

Relevant Pages