Dial up access problem - not a (solution)

From: Bruce ER Ballard (bruce.ballard@catalysta.co.uk)
Date: 05/28/02

From: "Bruce ER Ballard" <bruce.ballard@catalysta.co.uk>
To: <miloskv1@netscape.net>, <rpmiranda@sonae.pt>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 16:37:42 +0100

miloskvi1@netscape.net says:

>"Yes of course you can do something like that. You can use callback option
so your
>RAS server (machine Y) would call back your client (machine X) on some
>predefined number. In that case your problem is solved.

>Everybody can call your RAS server and RAS will terminate session and
>call for example 555-4321 (that is the number you define). So... only one
>person can dial from that number and that is your client (machine X).
> If Client dial up from another computer (from number 555-4322, RAS will
answer on 555-4321 and client X will not be able to log in)"

This is not an entirely secure solution.It is relatively simple to construct
a device that will hold the line open, simulate a dial tone and allow the
modem on the secure system to "call back" to this simulation, bypassing the
call-back security. I have had this demonstrated to me.
To overcome this, you must ensure your dial-in modems are on physically
separate circuits from your dial-back modems. Your dial-back modems must be
set to withold caller ID as well (in the UK this is a 1470 prefix, what it
is in the US I am sure somebody can tell me).

Bruce Ballard
IT Director, Catalysta Ltd http://www.catalysta.co.uk

Relevant Pages

  • Re: RAS Server problem
    ... The problem is with the RAS server sample setup program. ... localize the name of the line it is listening to. ... >> This means my hardware connection is functioning. ... >> Then I run RasServer on CE, and try to dial in from a client PC. ...
  • Re: RAS Server connection issue.
    ... Perhaps the XP client has require data encryption enabled. ... you can uncomment the section of the RAS server sample code (in ... the "main.c") file to add user credential (username, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.app.development)
  • Re: RAS authentication error 619 Issue
    ... Did anything change at the time that it stopped working? ... any other workstations that you can test with to see if it is a ... > I'm having a bit of a problem with my RAS server. ... > When I try to dial in using an XP client machine I keep ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing)