renaming the IIS metabase

From: Mike Dapkus (mdapkus@lycos.com)
Date: 05/14/02

To: focus-ms@securityfocus.com
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 10:19:36 -0500
From: "Mike Dapkus" <mdapkus@lycos.com>

My client is considering renaming and/or moving the metabase on their IIS 5 servers, per the article at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q321142. As the default NTFS permissions allow only the System and Administrators groups access to the metabase, I am curious to know if anyone else has done this, and if so, why? Has there ever been an IIS attack directly against the metabase (where moving or renaming would have prevented the attack)? What do you see as the benefits and/or drawbacks to doing this?

Thanks,
Mike D.

Outgrown your current e-mail service?
Get a 25MB Inbox, POP3 Access, No Ads and No Taglines with LYCOS MAIL PLUS.
http://login.mail.lycos.com/brandPage.shtml?pageId=plus