RE: windows domain question

From: Bejon Parsinia (bejon@supertel.com)
Date: 04/19/02

From: "Bejon Parsinia" <bejon@supertel.com>
To: "'Mike Coppins'" <mike@legolas.com>, <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 21:53:29 -0700

Mike,

Speaking from experience, depending on the policies in place on the network,
the laptop very well could retain sensitive information about the domain.
My example is as follows, I take my laptop home with me every night. It is
running Win2k Pro. I can leave my login information exactly the same as
when I have it plugged into my domain at the office when I login to the
laptop at home without any sort of VPN or public access to my network.

What does this mean? The laptop contains cached information (username,
password, domain name) that does not necessarily expire. I am just logging
in to use my laptop at home without connecting to any resources other than
my internet connection at the house. Dangerous, you bet. You can run
utilities to capture and recover those passwords very easily. No need to
disconnect it from the domain whatsoever.

Hope this helps,

Bejon