Re: Users slam Microsoft Security Analyser

From: Peter (list@easynix.com)
Date: 04/16/02

From: "Peter" <list@easynix.com>
To: "Stuart Fox (DSL AK)" <StuartF@datacom.co.nz>, <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>, "John Wienand" <JWienand@bna.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 20:14:43 -0400

Yes, i know one...it is OpenBSD (and not FreeBSD).
Since 4 Years without remote hole in the default installation.
You see, it is possible to release an OS which is "secure"
by default...
The big question just is why MS can not release a secure OS?
Instead of developing the Walt Disney GUI they better should
spend the money for the security.
Peter

> > On the other hand, we should be happy that MS doesn't
> > produce cars. Otherwise we could hear: "The door locks
> > don't work right now and you can not close the windows.
> > Also you can not use the park break......but it is the best
> > car ever made......"
> >
> > What happen if you install a new M$ OS? The first
> > thing you do is downloading patches and fixes for all
> > the remote security holes. It really would be a joke
> > if we had to pay for the M$ screw ups.
>
> So extending this a bit further, we should probably all be running
FreeBSD,
> as it's the only OS I know of that is secure by default. Would you
put a
> default RedHat installation live on the net with no patches?
>
> Let me know when someone writes an OS that doesn't require patching
out of
> the box.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Which Firewall?
    ... I patched the installation, switched off all services, set ... WG, don't get me wrong, I know how to secure a Windows 2000/XP machine ... do the same thing with them sitting behind a NAT router. ... first hour that they are doing updates is. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • RE: New IE flaw and exploit sites/migration to non-MS browser
    ... The point is that IE *at that time* was less secure than its ... Why is it okay for Windows XP to create the first user and give it admin ... installation for workstations that has been floating around ever since ... there's a lot of guidance on LUA *NOW*. ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: What files can I delete under ..SoftwareDistribution?
    ... I suspect the area is used for downloading patches and updates ... prior to installation. ...
  • Re: Electrical Outlet In Vanity - Code?
    ... It didn't really seem like the most secure installation considering ... the outlet in the wall since everything was apart. ... For ATOH, most work that involves codes is done by Tom Silva or the plumber, sometimes a guest electrician. ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: driver signing option
    ... user tries to install device driver files that are not digitally signed. ... Users can use System in Control Panel to select a more secure ... directs the system to proceed with the installation even if it includes unsigned ... directs the system to refuse to install unsigned files. ...