RE: Users slam Microsoft Security Analyser

From: Schwartz, Stanley (sschwartz@stlo.smhs.com)
Date: 04/15/02

From: "Schwartz, Stanley" <sschwartz@stlo.smhs.com>
To: 'Marc Fossi' <mfossi@securityfocus.com>, "'focus-ms@securityfocus.com'" <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 16:10:41 -0500

Again, before you reported it on Dec 7th, our systems were still vulnerable,
we just didn't know it yet.

I agree that a good admin will use all his/her resources to defend their
systems. However, if it's up to admin's to fix or workaround all the
vulnerabilities in Windows, why should Microsoft bother releasing hotfixes?
Does Microsoft have any responsibility here?

The point is that Microsoft coded Windows with this vulnerability (and
others, some of which we don't know of yet) in it, and saying that good
admin(s) can defend against attacks isn't necessarily always true.