RE: Group Policy denies access to some programs

From: Nina V. Levitin (Nina.Levitin@integtech.com)
Date: 04/08/02

Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 14:02:07 -0700
From: "Nina V. Levitin" <Nina.Levitin@integtech.com>
To: <comprepsrv@yahoo.com>, <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>

A couple of suggestions

1. Turn on auditing on one of the machines with the problem. Go in as a user and try the program. This should tell you in the logs which files do not have permissions set correctly.

2. Run the programs as administrator and see if they call any other programs. If they do those programs also need to be in the list of allowed programs.

3. You may find that the problem is not with files and programs but with the registry. If this is the case use a registry compare tool when you install and see where the registry keys are placed. If they are placed in HK_Local_User for administrator then chances are users aren't going to be able to access them. At that point you have two choices you can give them permissions to those keys or you can copy the keys to HK_local_machine.

-Kit

Relevant Pages

  • Re: FreeAXP loses network connectivity when laptop is woken up from "sleep"
    ... Well, no, the "VBoxManage clonehd" created the vmdk disk image in the ... I don't run VBox under an admin account. ... to log on to an admin account was to install it, ... However, in the end I did have to reinstall, because the old ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: High CPU utilization System process
    ... > Microsoft was pushing the MyDoom removal tool during its Windows Update. ... do not install properly without the Admin account. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: Solution for Office 2004 Install Quit (after license)
    ... appeared they were looking for an alias. ... the alias target fixed, the Office programs are running fine. ... So the "corrupted" admin account is just one with a bad alias. ... > admin account I was able to complete the Office 2004 install. ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office)
  • Re: Q822925 Critical Update Errors!!
    ... It causes the built in Admin account to be unusable. ... looks as if all and everything is in Restricted zone. ... tried online install from Windows Update --> makes no difference ...
  • Re: Windows 2000 update hangs at 0%
    ... > On a fresh install of Windows 2000, when attepting an update, via ... > windowsupdate.microsoft.com, I choose the update feature, it starts to ... I even tried manually downloading some ... Microsoft help in Win2K advises against the use of the Admin account ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.windows_update)