Re: 2k server problem

From: James Ruddy (jruddyse@hotmail.com)
Date: 03/12/02

From: "James Ruddy" <jruddyse@hotmail.com>
To: daniel.ferguson@willowmead.org, focus-ms@securityfocus.com
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 08:41:32 -0500

If I remember the HISECWEB correctly, I would proceed by renaming the
administrator account back. Then apply the c:\winnt\security\templates\setup
security.inf.

One thing I did notice with the earlier lockdown tools is that it did too
much at one time. You may also want to look at the HISECWEB and make sure
that it is not too locked down for your needs.

>From: "Daniel Ferguson" <daniel.ferguson@willowmead.org>
>To: <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>
>Subject: 2k server problem
>Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 18:33:23 -0000
>
>Hi, ive got a windows 2000 server running iis 5 with sp2 and all the latest
>hotfixes.
>Ive run lockdown and the hisecweb.inf file on the server to secure it. All
>was working fine untill this afternoon.
>I needed to rename the computer, and the administrator account. Now being
>lazy i did both these things at the same time -and- changed the password
>for
>the admin account, i then rebooted the machine. Now it took a very long
>time
>to shutdown, in the region of a few minutes, and when it came up i had the
>services failed to load error. When i logged into the computer to check the
>event viewer, i could see the list of events but couldnt see the detail
>behind them, and event viewer refused to close saying windows were still
>open. The stopped services would not load due to dependancy issues.
>
>I would be very greatful of any tips anyone might have to fix this problem
>without having to reinstall the operating system. That'll teach me to cut
>corners by doing all my changes at once :)
>
>Thanks, Daniel Ferguson

  • RE: 2k server problem
    ... I needed to rename the computer, and the administrator account. ... to shutdown, in the region of a few minutes, and when it came up i had the ... services failed to load error. ... and event viewer refused to close saying windows were still ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: new administrative account causes PowerPoint error
    ... to the website indicated in the event viewer provided no helpful information. ... It opens and then immediately gets an error window with no information ... Office 2003, importing setting from the old Administrator account, ... office 2003 settings via the Office 2003 Save My Settings Wizard, ...
  • Re: cant create new users
    ... My programs group under Start->Programs ... I did not think of looking at the event viewer. ... >> the administrator account? ...
  • RE: 2k server problem
    ... Subject: 2k server problem ... I needed to rename the computer, and the administrator account. ... services failed to load error. ... and event viewer refused to close saying windows were still ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)