Re: Transfer files open shares vs ftp

From: H C (keydet89@yahoo.com)
Date: 03/04/02

Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 12:40:57 -0800 (PST)
From: H C <keydet89@yahoo.com>
To: pen test <pentestlist@hotmail.com>, focus-ms@securityfocus.com

> Ok here is the problem. There is a NT 4.0 server
> running IIS web service
> and ftp service. The network is fire walled and all
> that.

How about a VPN of some sort? You didn't say what the
firewall is, but maybe there is a way to VPN it.

Here are a couple of things to think about:

1. NetBIOS tranfers allow the tranfer of alternate
data streams.

2. FTP transfers authentication in the clear, but
logging is much better and easier to understand...if
you do it and monitor the logs.

3. The F/W can be used to restrict IP addresses for
either service.

4. If you're worried about someone sniffing the
traffic and capturing the FTP authentication, then
you've got other things to worry about! After all,
there are no recorded incidents to date of someone
'hacking' an Internet backbone router and sniffing
traffic. However, this happens on LANs quite often.
Therefore, the LAN at either end of the connection
would be suspect.

http://sports.yahoo.com

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Rehat 8 - How to Setup FTP Server
    ... I have no idea what is going on - its a fresh install of RH8 in server mode - and I can't get vsftp to run. ... Rehat 8 - How to Setup FTP Server ... Do you Yahoo!? ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: RH9 VSFTP Chroot Problem
    ... > I'm running RH9 with VSFTP and I'm trying to make it ... > And now when I ftp in it simply puts everyone in the ... > Do you Yahoo!? ... Get your refund fast by filing online. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: RH9 VSFTP Chroot Problem
    ... > I'm running RH9 with VSFTP and I'm trying to make it ... > And now when I ftp in it simply puts everyone in the ... > Do you Yahoo!? ... Get your refund fast by filing online. ...
    (RedHat)
  • RE: Rehat 8 - How to Setup FTP Server
    ... Did you make sure that xinetd was turned on: ... If http and ftp are running you'll see them listening on their associated ... easy-to-use web site design software ... Do you Yahoo!? ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Rehat 8 - How to Setup FTP Server
    ... it just says I need to enable xinetd - but that is already enabled.... ... did you enable the vsftp service? ... Rehat 8 - How to Setup FTP Server ... Do you Yahoo!? ...
    (RedHat)