Transfer files open shares vs ftp

From: pen test (pentestlist@hotmail.com)
Date: 03/02/02

From: "pen test" <pentestlist@hotmail.com>
To: focus-ms@securityfocus.com
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2002 04:40:12 +0000

Ok here is the problem. There is a NT 4.0 server running IIS web service
and ftp service. The network is fire walled and all that. Now the actual
problem. Developers updating the site running on the server use shares to
transfer files. The acl permissions are set very tite at the ntfs and share
level, with only access granted to the accounts which need it. (domain
accts). What is the recommended/more secure way to put files on the server?
FTP or via open shares?

FTP would seem the more secure way in thought but then again ftp logins are
clear txt where as authentication for the shares has at least some level of
encryption (though can be broken with l0phtCrack if sniffed.
The network is 10/100 switched and even though switched it can be sniffed so
that is not my concern.

Feedback on shares vs ftp is appreciated.

thanks

  • Re: Sysinstall FTP from LAN - not working
    ... > I am trying to install 5.2.1 from an iMac running OSX with an FTP ... > connecting to the FTP server on the iMac. ... > I set up the network information automatically with the DHCP selection ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • RE: ftp not working after security update .#10054
    ... Do the issue occurs when you visit specific FTP site or all FTP sites? ... What your network topology? ... the SBS server separates the network into two ... 825763 How to configure Internet access in Windows Small Business Server ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: FTP problems
    ... FTP was never particularly reliable, which I blamed on the rather old ... server I've been using. ... I use PlusNet as ISP through a BT ADSL connection. ... network has one RPC one PPC Mac and a LaserWriter II. ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.networking)
  • Re: VPN to ISA server, cant FTP through it
    ... filter on the FTP server first. ... what the client IP address might be, but I do know what the server IP ... through a VPN, will they not be encrypted anyway? ... then the Source Network would be the "created" Network that ws created when ...
    (microsoft.public.isa.vpn)
  • wierd problem!
    ... I also have two network adapters on server, ... For my local network I ... Do not isolate users (Users can access the FTP home directory of other ... 426 Connection closed; transfer aborted ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.ftp)