RE: Unsigned Windows 2000 Patches

From: Toland, Dave (Dave.Toland@ca.com)
Date: 02/22/02

From: "Toland, Dave" <Dave.Toland@ca.com>
To: 'Eric' <ews@tellurian.net>, ar@sz.chn.tuv.com, focus-ms@securityfocus.com, security-basics@securityfocus.com
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 10:29:58 -0500

The last time I saw this, I looked at the details. The reason the
signing certificate was being flagged was because the verification
code was unable to find a current revocation list, so was unable to
certify that the certificate was still valid. This means the certificate
source is trusted and the certificate itself is not expired, but that
the software could not guarantee that the Certification Authority had
not issued a revocation for the certificate.

For my part, that was a "good enough" confidence level to proceed
with the installation. But I would never proceed without checking
the reason a signature was flagged.

This does beg the question of why a valid CRL wasn't available though.