Securing windows XP

From: Ken Power (kpower@ardencompanies.com)
Date: 01/15/02

From: "Ken Power" <kpower@ardencompanies.com>
To: "Focus-MS (E-mail)" <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 07:32:34 -0500

Are Windows Xp Pro/Home secured following the same steps as Windows
2000? Is there any extra steps/precautions that need taken? I'm expecting to
receive a few workstation clients soon and want them secured before placing
them on the network. A few details: Network currently runs Windows 9x
clients, with Winnt 4.0 PDC's. Connection to the Internet occurs through a
Squid proxy on a Linux box. Yes there is a Firewall. XP Machines will be
used for your somewhat typical things: MS Office, Email, Web Browsing
although a few will be used for Software development (MS VB 6, Delphi 5,
Java). Any suggestions?

Ken P.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: PID 1212 slowly maxing out?
    ... Windows 2003 servers, but could it affect Windows XP as well? ... I'm on a home network running on wireless. ... Logical Disk Manager service ...
  • RE: Printing from Win9x clients stops
    ... Open Server Management. ... then right-click the name of the computer running Windows Small Business ... >From the client computer: ... The Select Network Component Type ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Cant print to my Windows 98 shared printer from my XP compute
    ... >>>I can't print from the printer attached to my Windows 98 machine using my XP ... >>>Add Printer wizard and has a pipe attached, indicating a network printer. ... >>>98 machine and I can successfully ping the 98 machine from my XP laptop. ... >>>driver name showed up as UNIDRV.DLL on my XP test page when it last worked. ...
  • Re: Slow file copy to network shares Windows 7
    ... The problem is that Windows 7 copys and pastes the test ... folder containing folders and files from a network share to a network share ... performed to demonstrate that copying the test folder from a network share to ... When copied from a network location and pasted back to a network location ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.file_system)
  • Re: Slow file copy to network shares Windows 7
    ... The problem is that Windows 7 copys and pastes the ... folder containing folders and files from a network share to a network ... performed to demonstrate that copying the test folder from a network share ... When copied from a network location and pasted back to a network location ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.file_system)