RE: IE headers w patch level - new info

From: Norbert@Persephonesystems.com
Date: 01/10/02

From: Norbert@Persephonesystems.com
To: dumbwabbit@yahoo.com, focus-ms@securityfocus.com
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 10:43:59 +0100

Hiya,

On XP the path is slightly different:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\
Internet Settings\User Agent\Post Platform

String Value: Q312461
Data: "" (empty)

Greetz,

Norbert

Data: "" (empty)

If you modify the NAME of the string value "T312461"
to something else like "CanYouGuessMyIEVersion" then
that text is what will show up in the webserver's
logfiles, under the UserAgent field.
I have NOT tested this for length of the value, but I
have successfully modified and even deleted this value
- all without any apparent or noticeable loss of
functionality on the part of IE. Additionally, after
deleting this value, running both Windows Update and
HFNETCHK.exe still show the machine as fully patched.

Platforms tested on:
Win2k Pro SP2
IE 6.0.2600.0000 fully patched.

Win2k Pro SP2
IE 5.5 SP2 fully patched

I imagine the key/values will be the same on 98, Me,
NT4, XP, but have not verified this.

I found this by searching my Registry for "T312461",
finding it in this location, modifying first the value
(no change) and then the name of the key. You MUST
restart IE for this to take effect.

Additionally, I have discovered that you can create
multiple values here, and have them ALL show up in the
webserver's logfiles if you wish.

Extracts from my webserver logfiles before and after
modifying the registry entries above:

Before:
HTTP/1.0
Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+5.5;+Windows+NT+5.0;+T312461)

After (I have modified the T312461 value to
"ThisWas-T312461" and ADDED a value named
"MSBrowserHere" - type: String, value: ""):
HTTP/1.0
Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+5.5;+Windows+NT+5.0;+MSBrowserHere;+ThisWas-T3
12461)

I also question the value and wisdom in such an
implementation by Microsoft... thoughts anyone?

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How to Upload a Workbook on my website
    ... Hre is code the call the FTP dll. ... cFileName As String * MAX_PATH ... Public Declare Function FtpSetCurrentDirectory Lib "wininet.dll" Alias ... MsgBox "Internet - Failed!" ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.programming)
  • Re: Ping Ar....tech/political question.....
    ... If the platform becomes available then the BBC will use it. ... the No 1 national broadcaster and will not compromise that position. ... They have made the fullest use of the internet haven't they and have ... obvious alternative system of payment collection. ...
    (uk.politics.misc)
  • RE: unable to load WinSocket dll in Excel Visual Basic Editor
    ... (ByVal hFtpSession As Long, ByVal lpszCurrentDirectory As String, ... Dim hConnection, hOpen, hFile As Long ' Used For Handles ... MsgBox "Internet - Failed!" ... ' Set Upload Flag to True ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.programming)
  • RE: unable to load WinSocket dll in Excel Visual Basic Editor
    ... (ByVal hFtpSession As Long, ByVal lpszCurrentDirectory As String, ... Dim hConnection, hOpen, hFile As Long ' Used For Handles ... MsgBox "Internet - Failed!" ... ' Set Upload Flag to True ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.programming)
  • Re: Any VMware experts on a Vista site?
    ... platform by clicking on a desktop icon. ... I connect to the Internet on a wireless basis, ... connection, but I am not able to connect to the Internet. ... individual who installed the VMware said that I should not need a USB port ...