Recent Mac/Win interop threads

From: Brad Judy (judy@colorado.edu)
Date: 12/27/01

From: "Brad Judy" <judy@colorado.edu>
To: <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 09:48:30 -0700

The most disturbing items I see on this list are unresolved security
problems. Recently there have been two threads regarding security problems
involving Macintosh clients and MS Services for Macintosh that have gone
unresolved.

I need to do some testing on these issues and another potential security
problem in Macintosh/Windows interop that we have stumbled upon here (more
on that when we have more information). I will probably also submit some
info to http://www.macwindows.com - a great resource for interop.

As a potential answer to the password change question, check out this MS KB
article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306485

I should note that the UAM linked to by Laura is not the current one, 5.09
is the current Mac OS 8.x-9.x version and there is now a 1.0 version for Mac
OS X. Both of these add NTLMv2 support (over the previous LM only support)
and are thus important for security.

I feel Mac/Win interop security is largely overlooked probably due to the
rift between the Windows and Macintosh communities. There are many people
working to remedy this situation, but it requires the efforts of both
communities.

Brad Judy

Information Technology Services
University of Colorado at Boulder

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Recent Mac/Win interop threads
    ... security discussion in Mac/Win interop is related to popularity of the ... consumer market share for Macintosh products ... The migration of Mac OS to a BSD-based platform ... generalizing the issue to Win32/Unix interop. ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: 114,000 viruses? Guess Again.
    ... The Maccies obsession with Windows' security is really irrelevant. ... Macintosh is. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Sicherheit: verantwortungsvoller Normalanwender (Achtung: lang!)
    ... einem verantwortungsbewussten Computer-Nutzer bereits zu viel ... Was die Leute nicht alles tun, ... Was tut man in diesem Zusammenhang, wenn man einen Macintosh hat? ... Security is the one concept, which makes things in your life stay as ...
    (de.comp.security.misc)
  • [ANN] IPNetSentryX F1.3c6
    ... security application which protects your Macintosh from outside ... Internet intruders. ... This is particularly important for Macintosh users ...
    (comp.sys.mac.comm)
  • Re: 114,000 viruses? Guess Again.
    ... the end no one really cares about security. ... Macintosh is. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)