RE: Deploying Hotfixes, SPs and other Software

From: Brad Judy (judy@colorado.edu)
Date: 11/29/01

From: "Brad Judy" <judy@colorado.edu>
To: <Thor@HammerofGod.com>, <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: Deploying Hotfixes, SPs and other Software
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 09:10:02 -0700

There are several third-party tools for creating MSI packages. Looking up
messages on the subject I see that admins in higher ed are using: Wise,
InstallShield, SMS, and Veritas WinInstall MSI applications.

I do not have personal experience with these apps, but they are being used
extensively at some schools.

Service Packs are available in MSI as described in MS KB article Q269732.
Hotfixes are not yet available in MSI and probably will not be, at least in
the near future. Don't get me started on that conversation.

Brad Judy
Information Technology Services
University of Colorado at Boulder

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Deploying Hotfixes, SPs and other Software
    ... Deploying Hotfixes, SPs and other Software ... I had a procedure working for the automated install of SP5 on all ... I know it uses MSI to do the actual installing. ... >creating .msi packages from .exe setup files? ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: Install MSI packages and change computers names throught AD
    ... Install MSI packages throught Active Directory ... Change clientes computes names throught Active Directory when they log ...
  • RE: Deploying Hotfixes, SPs and other Software
    ... Deploying Hotfixes, SPs and other Software ... information about how to create MSI files. ... >there are MS utilitys to create .MSI packages out of anything... ... build the .msi files like that- a *royal* PITA. ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: softwrae Installation Permession
    ... The GPO setting you are talking about is only for .msi packages and you ... install are .msi or possible .zap appplications look in using Group Policy ... assigning/publishing. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: MSI deployment
    ... MSIs are mass-deployed by the means of Group Policy in Active Directory. ... > I've been looking at InstallAware as a means of providing our app with MSI ... > setup just as a front end for the msi packages. ...