RE: Batching Hot-fix installation

From: David L Stevens (dstevens@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: 11/16/01

Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 14:17:55 -0500
From: David L Stevens <dstevens@andrew.cmu.edu>
To: Evan Mann <emann@questinc.org>, focus-ms@securityfocus.com
Subject: RE: Batching Hot-fix installation

--On Friday, November 16, 2001 10:42 AM -0500 you wrote Evan Mann
<emann@questinc.org> wrote:

> I'd greatly appreciate any advice on this as well. This particular hotfix
> is an IE hotfix and these never have the conventional switches and
> behavior, and do other hotfixes that tend to be not OS related. Why
> can't Microsoft just standardize these to use the same hotfixes flags all
> the others do??! Is that to much to ask?

Microsoft is currently in the process of working on standardizing the
hotfix switches and the installer engines used to install hotfixes.
Currently, all hotfixes released since a certain date, which escapes me,
has the qchain technology built-in. They are looking at updating old
hotfixes going back and updating old hotfixes and integrate qchain into

> The only thing I've found to do is just "deal with it" and run those
> hotfixes last, which leads me to a question:

For now, that's all you can do.

> Does QCHAIN take into account DLL versioning for ALL hotfixes?

I answered this above.

Dave Stevens
Carnegie Mellon University