Re: NT Server - 98 WkStn Highschool Lab - Help!

From: Chris Benson (cbenson@parkland.cc.il.us)
Date: 10/17/01

Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 16:02:02 -0500
From: "Chris Benson" <cbenson@parkland.cc.il.us>
To: <adamkuj@mccoysworld.com>, <mistertumnus@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: NT Server - 98 WkStn Highschool Lab - Help!

Is there any chance you can move to either NT or 2000 for the clients? Mandatory roaming profiles and/or GPO's could be a big help. PC-Rdist is a good tool from what I've seen, but we haven't put it into production. From what I recall PC-Rdist needs a PXE compatible mainboard or nic to be truly automated. You might check your hardware on that.

-Chris

>>> Adam Kujawski <adamkuj@mccoysworld.com> 10/17/01 01:57PM >>>
You should check out PC-Rdist, available at http://www.pyzzo.com/. It can
be set to restore a hard drive to it's original configuration whenever the
computer is shut down. It is quite powerful.

-Adam

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, [iso-8859-1] Jason F. wrote:

> I administer several labs in a rural school division.
> I am often not in these labs for days at a time and
> often chaos has ensued-i.e. - saved user profiles,
> deleted icons and programs, file renaming, etc... I
> did not set up this lab and am wondering the best way
> to reconfigure it, using the existing technology. Any
> suggestions? Here's the specs:
>
> -WINNT 4 Server - latest Service Packs
>
> - Windows 98 - First Edition - (yes, we were right on
> the ball buying the latest MS OS back in '98!)
>
> - Security by Policy Editor and Group Policies - I
> like being able to control some things with this but I
> apparently must have user profiles enabled to use
> Poledit and this allows users to save their profiles
> which means when they screw something up and can't get
> it to work the next time they log on a teacher will
> tell me that the computer is broken
>
> - I'd also like to be able to keep track of where each
> individual user goes on the Internet - when I check
> cookie files - every user has the same cookies for
> some reason
>
> - I'd like to give everybody the same desktop but some
> computers have different programs on them than others
>
> Well those are my main security issues, if anyone has
> any hints or suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason Forester
> Computer Technician

  • Re: NT Server - 98 WkStn Highschool Lab - Help!
    ... NT Server - 98 WkStn Highschool Lab - Help! ... > - Security by Policy Editor and Group Policies - I ... > apparently must have user profiles enabled to use ... > cookie files - every user has the same cookies for ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: NT Server - 98 WkStn Highschool Lab - Help!
    ... NT Server - 98 WkStn Highschool Lab - Help! ... > - Security by Policy Editor and Group Policies - I ... > apparently must have user profiles enabled to use ... > cookie files - every user has the same cookies for ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • NT Server - 98 WkStn Highschool Lab - Help!
    ... NT Server - 98 WkStn Highschool Lab - Help! ... apparently must have user profiles enabled to use ... cookie files - every user has the same cookies for ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: That Old Anthrax Case
    ... Evidently security was so lax at Ft. Detrick that even ... basic laboratory safety procedures were not followed. ... Management at the lab should be prosecuted. ... There is no excuse for lax security procedures and even less excuse for ...
    (soc.retirement)