RE: NT Server - 98 WkStn Highschool Lab - Help!

From: Brad Judy (judy@colorado.edu)
Date: 10/17/01

From: "Brad Judy" <judy@colorado.edu>
To: "Jason F." <mistertumnus@yahoo.com>, <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: NT Server - 98 WkStn Highschool Lab - Help!
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:50:28 -0600

A number of good pieces of advice have been given here. I will add a few
items based on a few years of working with several hundred university
computing labs (primarily Windows 95 and 98 during my time).

If you cannot move to Windows 2000 or another NT-based version of Windows, I
suggest using software like PCRDist (http://www.pyzzo.com/pcrdist/). It
allows your workstations to be self-healing to a degree. We wrote our own
program years ago to perform basically the same function. It, combined with
Ghost, was the basis for keeping Win9x labs up and running. I don't think a
Win9x lab is very manageable without some level of self-repair.

Installing applications on locked server shares can also help to reduce the
downtime of computing services.

We have used Poledit for locking down the desktop, it keeps out the vast
majority of people. We did not have individual profiles for each user
(until now with Windows 2000), we auto-logged-in each machine with a single
account, thus a single profile. Now with Windows 2000, we have a program
that deletes profiles at login.

There are some other cute tricks we used, like blocking users from setting
WWW images from IE or Netscape as the background.

I definitely think NT based labs are easier to run, but we have run a lot of
Win9x ones and
have managed quite well.

Brad Judy
Information Technology Services
University of Colorado at Boulder

  • Profile Storage
    ... students can be in a number of those labs. ... roaming profiles for this reason. ... We developed generic profiles with settings that we want ... one User Group on the server). ...
  • Re: Where professionals print their photos?
    ... Kodak paper. ... some labs won't send color profiles. ... some lab only print for professionals and if you don't have a tax i.d. ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: VMS Mail translates incoming tilde character into a dollar sign.
    ... You guys reall need to get off this "Windows is impossible ... browser and decent backup tool, and until recently Windows from MS didn't ... Do the users have the ability to install anything? ... All I can really say is that I run labs in an environment where a large ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Intel CSA Gigabit Bug in IC7-G Motherboards- Affects Windows/Linux
    ... but we've not been able to reproduce much in our labs and ... regarding the crash. ... I'll have our lab attempt to reproduce the bug this time using ... I can't speak to the windows crash, ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Why Intel macs will lose the education market.
    ... You can set the Windows boxes up so they are locked down so tight ... Plus anything the students do to them gets ... the labs, only for staff. ... PCs, as each new user to log in got a clean machine. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)