Re: Microsoft Can't Win.

From: Wim Remes (wim.remes@skynet.be)
Date: 10/09/01

From: "Wim Remes" <wim.remes@skynet.be>
To: "Shashi Dookhee" <romeo@trafficproximity.com>, "Turner, Keith" <TurnerL@tea-emh1.army.mil>
Subject: Re: Microsoft Can't Win.
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 21:24:02 +0200

Hey everybody,

Here are the points from the Belgian jury:

1. Whether you are working with MS products, xNIX, AS/400,Netware, ... you
will always need a firewall, IDS, ...
those TOOLS were not invented to protect MS powered environments, they were
developed to protect data.
Firewalls will never become MS powered, since those who make the decisions
KNOW what to choose for
their money.

2. I personally don't know anybody who has ever BOUGHT a personal firewall,
90% procent of the people I know
,using a PFW,work with the Freeware ZoneAlarm.

3. What is the use of bringing in a PFW if the user himself (or herself for
that matter) does not even relate to the
whole security idea. I have problems selling security solutions to
IT-managers, let alone selling it to home-users. ROFLMAO.

4. There still is a relation between Security and Productivity. An OS
that's regarded as secure (an OS can never be 100% secure)
can not offer the same level of operability. That's the way it is, that's
the way it'll always be.

5. MS has done great things to bring computers to the clerk's desk! I'd dare
say more, if it weren't for MS, there wouldn't even
be Linux!

Moral:
Let's stop bashing eachother with the anti-mentality. MS,
xNIX,AS/400(iseries I shoud say:-)), Netware,... For me there is no OR,
there is a big AND. If you are a professional, I'm sure you'll agree.
Until now, I have never proposed a system that's build on
solely one of the above mentioned platforms. They CAN live together, it is
up to the sysadmin to keep the system secure, not
with a build-in firewall on one of his hosts, but with a complete solution
including firewalls, DMZ's, IDS's, computer use policies,
management backing & user awareness !

Have fun discussing, I know what to do !

Cheers,

Wim