Re: Retrieving NT 4 Administrator password

From: Scott Ehrlich (scott@ai.mit.edu)
Date: 10/04/01

Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 13:59:14 -0400
From: Scott Ehrlich <scott@ai.mit.edu>
To: "Martin L. Drury Jr." <mdrury@ads-corp.com>
Subject: Re: Retrieving NT 4 Administrator password

Here is a wonderful utility for changing passwords on most NT-based boxes:

I have used it several times and never had a crash (except for once, at home, on a
machine I heavily experimented on ;-)

Scott

"Martin L. Drury Jr." wrote:

> Hello all,
> First, if this is not the appropriate place for this, my apologies.
>
> I'm in need of a little bit of help. Roughly 4 years ago, while working
> for a non-profit community network, I set up an NT 4.0 based LAN (no
> internet access) for a Library. There were two accounts that had
> Administrative access, mine, and the Administrator. Under normal
> operations, no one was ever logged into the server, and the accounts used by
> the workstations did not have administrative access.
>
> Now, 4 years later, they needed to update some software that is installed
> on the server, and apparently no one remembers the Administrator account
> password (they said they had it written down, but apparently they didn't,
> all they managed to do was lock themselves out of the account). I have long
> since forgotten the password I used (given enough tries, I'm sure I could
> remember it, but well, I don't want to lock out my account as well). Is
> there an easy way to retrieve/reset the administrator password without
> damaging the data stored on the server?
>
> I believe at most the machine has SP3 installed on it. The copy of NT was
> installed off of a Back Office CD, but I don't recall whether or not it had
> Service Packs or not. All the information I had concerning the machine was
> given to the non-profit when I left there 3 years ago, and since then, they
> have conviently lost it. Any pointers anyone could give me on what steps I
> need to take would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
>
> Martin L. Drury Jr.
> Advance Data Systems, Inc.
> 502-228-3396 x117
> mdrury@ads-corp.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: FIRED IT ADMIN HAS LOCKED US OUT OF SBS
    ... you have risen to an Administrator this would be a given. ... server and run all LOB apps on these. ... If there are no encrypted files, just reset the DSRM account ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: FIRED IT ADMIN HAS LOCKED US OUT OF SBS
    ... Teneo> Interesting post and Im now gonna be a party pooper... ... connections) before cutting power to the server and to the Internet ... If there are no encrypted files, just reset the DSRM account ... and try old domain Administrator account's passwords. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Remote desktop: cannot copy files why still not working
    ... I created a new user on the XP box, set as an administrator ... this new user account is local to the XP system, ... In my environment, when I do an RDP connection to a server, I first log ... member of the local administrators group on the server. ...
  • Re: Remote desktop: cannot copy files why still not working
    ... this new user account is local to the XP system, and a member of the local administrator's group on that workstation. ... In my environment, when I do an RDP connection to a server, I first log on to the xp workstation using my regular, non-privileged domain account, run mstsc, and then logon to the server using a domain account that is a member of the local administrators group on the server. ... In addition, I frequently use runas to run privileged applications on the workstation using my "administrator" account, and have found that files cannot be copied between those applications and anything running under the credentials of my regular account - even though my administrator account actually does have full access to everything on the workstation - just not through my regular account's view of that workstation. ...
  • Re: Shared Fax device not available anymore after reboot server!?!
    ... the error message one by one to the Newsgroup for accurate research. ... You can send fax by using Administrator account. ... after the reboot of the server no account is able to fax anaymore. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)