RE: secure mail using ETRN

From: Mike Wilson (mwilson@cincinnatiequitable.com)
Date: 09/10/01

From: Mike Wilson <mwilson@cincinnatiequitable.com>
To: 'Idan Dolev' <IDolev@interwise.com>, "Focus-Ms@Securityfocus. Com (E-mail)" <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: secure mail using ETRN
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 12:39:06 -0400

I've done this plenty of times with Exchange 5.5 sp3 and found it to be
somewhat flaky. Here's what I've done to make it more reliable.

1. On the mail retrieval tab, don't select derive from routing property
page. Make sure you select use these domains and specify the domains
manually.

2. Set the checkbox for send ETRN to specified host instead of outbound
mail host and set this to the fqdn of your ISP's mail servers.

Other than that, the rest of the config in screens 2 and 3 are easy to
follow. One caveat, if you are using Small Business server, or if you have
Proxy 2.0 on the same server as your Exchange server, Exchange won't dial if
the Proxy is already dialed out for Internet connectivity. However, if you
are dialed up, the newly sent mail should come to your server directly
anyway. Mail that's already queued on your ISP's mail server is subject to
whatever delivery attempts the ISP might make or waiting until your server
can actually dial to send the ETRN command.

Regards,

Mike Wilson
CCNP, CCDP, MCSE
Sr. Network Engineer