Re: Insufficient port error

From: The Crocodile (tcroc@cow.pasture.com)
Date: 09/06/01

From: "The Crocodile" <tcroc@cow.pasture.com>
To: "Badruddoza, Abul" <aab@Amtrak.com>, <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>
Subject: Re: Insufficient port error
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 18:07:06 -0700

I don't know if this is what you are seeing but I experienced a problem when
using a windows 2K advanced server as a gateway (Had to, damn cable modem
didn't work with *nix :P). I set up the box with two NIC's and Internet
Connection Sharing (ICS) enabled. Everything worked great most of the time.

That is until I started doing penetration tests from home... Running
multiple nessus scans as well as nmaps from behind that windows 2K gateway
out to the Internet would cause the machine to hang and completely stop
passing packets in either direction. If I stopped all scans and waited for
a short while (time outs) the machine would begin passing packets again. I
would assume you need to tune the timeouts to be shorter in your case so you
don't run out of sockets. This is just a guess as your description doesn't
have much data in it.

--TCroc