RE: screensavers

From: Stewart John H SSSD (StewartJH@SUPSHIP.NAVY.MIL)
Date: 08/21/01

From: Stewart John H SSSD <StewartJH@SUPSHIP.NAVY.MIL>
To: "'Andrew Kavanagh'" <andrewk@spray-quip.com>, Focus-Ms <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>, Vladimir Shtern <vladis@avicatech.com>
Subject: RE: screensavers
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 15:44:59 -0700

There was a report out within the past 6 months that noted a couple of the
shareware screen savers did not implement the display timeout and lock
feature correctly. In other words, if the screen saver was running, it was
a simple keystroke that brought back the original screen. The screensaver
did advertise password locking but it didn't appear to work.

Many of the screensavers do have a "phone home" feature that would provide a
backdoor into your network.

John Stewart
Information Systems Security Manager
NAVSEA San Diego