RE: MS patch-scanner for Win-NT, 2K, IIS, SQL

From: Rich Wilson (wk633@yahoo.com)
Date: 08/15/01

Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 13:37:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: Rich Wilson <wk633@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: MS patch-scanner for Win-NT, 2K, IIS, SQL
To: focus-ms@securityfocus.com

Some corrections:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/itsolutions/security/news/w2ksp2.asp
> says MS00-077 is included in SP2.

MS (or at least someone who works there) pointed out that MS00-077 has been
updated, and the updated version is not in SP2, so it's valid to report it as
missing, even if you have SP2

> Along the same lines, I have MS01-026 (which it found), but that includes
> MS01-004, which it says it didn't find. It will tell you what is/isn't on
> the
> system, but it will still take close attention and a lot of browsing MS
> advisories to keep track of what hotfixes you need.

The FAQ (http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q305/3/85.ASP) set me
straight on this. My problem was that I was using the flag '-a b' which
reports both missing and applied. Leaving off the -a defaults to 'neccessary'
hotfixes, and on my MS01-026'ed system, does not mention MS01-004.

=====
: __o
: -\<,
: 0/ 0

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

Relevant Pages

  • Missing E-mail messages
    ... I could not find a group pertaining to Outlook Express so ... Outlook Express in Windows XP Home SP2 is reporting X new ... I have confirmed that the missing ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Microsoft - Windows XP SP1 DX9.00 is not reporting KB839643 via WMI
    ... > It's not even really a 'custom' script in how it pulls the information. ... and this hotfix (unlike all other DX hotfixes) is ... > reporting their hotfixes via WMI, and now this one doesn't work as the ... >> like to submit a request for support using your phone, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: observations in different scales
    ... On reporting averages... ... in the same manner that you investigate Missing - ... Where I know "Kaplan-Meier" and what I find with Google, ... [snip, brief exchange] ...
    (sci.stat.math)
  • Re: OT - Ham Help - Thanks!!
    ... or something missing in my brain. ... Another fromer group of fast operators were the Newspaper wire ... Not at all like the reporting ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • RE: Installing SP1 for W2K3 dies in cleanup phase if too many hotf
    ... complete the SP1 install when this problem occurs. ... our servers have about 95 or more hotfixes ... folder) when the problem occurs and svcpack.log is reporting about 53 or more ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.setup)