RE: MS patch-scanner for Win-NT, 2K, IIS, SQL

From: Rich Wilson (wk633@yahoo.com)
Date: 08/15/01

Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 13:37:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: Rich Wilson <wk633@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: MS patch-scanner for Win-NT, 2K, IIS, SQL
To: focus-ms@securityfocus.com

Some corrections:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/itsolutions/security/news/w2ksp2.asp
> says MS00-077 is included in SP2.

MS (or at least someone who works there) pointed out that MS00-077 has been
updated, and the updated version is not in SP2, so it's valid to report it as
missing, even if you have SP2

> Along the same lines, I have MS01-026 (which it found), but that includes
> MS01-004, which it says it didn't find. It will tell you what is/isn't on
> the
> system, but it will still take close attention and a lot of browsing MS
> advisories to keep track of what hotfixes you need.

The FAQ (http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q305/3/85.ASP) set me
straight on this. My problem was that I was using the flag '-a b' which
reports both missing and applied. Leaving off the -a defaults to 'neccessary'
hotfixes, and on my MS01-026'ed system, does not mention MS01-004.

=====
: __o
: -\<,
: 0/ 0

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

Relevant Pages

  • Missing E-mail messages
    ... I could not find a group pertaining to Outlook Express so ... Outlook Express in Windows XP Home SP2 is reporting X new ... I have confirmed that the missing ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Microsoft - Windows XP SP1 DX9.00 is not reporting KB839643 via WMI
    ... > It's not even really a 'custom' script in how it pulls the information. ... and this hotfix (unlike all other DX hotfixes) is ... > reporting their hotfixes via WMI, and now this one doesn't work as the ... >> like to submit a request for support using your phone, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: observations in different scales
    ... On reporting averages... ... in the same manner that you investigate Missing - ... Where I know "Kaplan-Meier" and what I find with Google, ... [snip, brief exchange] ...
    (sci.stat.math)
  • Re: OT - Ham Help - Thanks!!
    ... or something missing in my brain. ... Another fromer group of fast operators were the Newspaper wire ... Not at all like the reporting ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)