RE: MS patch-scanner for Win-NT, 2K, IIS, SQL

From: Rich Wilson (
Date: 08/15/01

Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 13:37:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: Rich Wilson <>
Subject: RE: MS patch-scanner for Win-NT, 2K, IIS, SQL

Some corrections:

--- Rich Wilson <> wrote:
> I find it's reporting missing hotfixes, which are included in the SP.
> e.g.
> Patch NOT Found MS00-077 Q299796
> But
> says MS00-077 is included in SP2.

MS (or at least someone who works there) pointed out that MS00-077 has been
updated, and the updated version is not in SP2, so it's valid to report it as
missing, even if you have SP2

> Along the same lines, I have MS01-026 (which it found), but that includes
> MS01-004, which it says it didn't find. It will tell you what is/isn't on
> the
> system, but it will still take close attention and a lot of browsing MS
> advisories to keep track of what hotfixes you need.

The FAQ ( set me
straight on this. My problem was that I was using the flag '-a b' which
reports both missing and applied. Leaving off the -a defaults to 'neccessary'
hotfixes, and on my MS01-026'ed system, does not mention MS01-004.

: __o
: -\<,
: 0/ 0

Do You Yahoo!?