Re: Hacked NT/2K box

From: Thor@HammerofGod.com
Date: 07/24/01

From: Thor@HammerofGod.com
To: focus-ms@securityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Hacked NT/2K box
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 15:54:48 -0700

> Also, with XP being released, there would be no reason to say that a
> hacker wouldn't be able to use an XP box for DDoS attacks. Because
> XP will have RAW Sockets, instead of the conventional NT-based W32
> Sockets. But, this wouldn't be an issue if system Admins kept up to
> date with security bulletins and also having a reliable firewall in
> place. Also a good security policy would only help against attacks
> internally.

There is already no reason to say that a hacker wouldn't be able to use
_any_ Win box for DDos.
Raw sockets in XP has absolutely nothing to do with it (Win2k already
supports this, btw.)

If I can run code on the box, then _nothing_ beyond that point matters,
regardless of whether the OS API directly supports raw sockets or not.

---------------------------------
Attonbitus Deus
Thor@HammerofGod.Com

Relevant Pages

  • Windows Management Instrumentation
    ... WMI brings up system information inclueding username, ... A hacker with the right app ... Is there a reason to have this service running at all? ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Windows Management Instrumentation
    ... >WMI brings up system information inclueding username, ... A hacker with the right app ... >reason, is there a setting to disallow any veiwing of it? ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: [CFT/Review] net byte order for AF_INET
    ... M> So the packet is expected to come into rip_outputfrom caller ... This is de facto standard for raw sockets in most OS-es. ... So no reason for extra comments. ... ip_len and ip_off are in host format is another good reason ...
    (freebsd-net)
  • Re: 12.3 drives mount under /var ?
    ... as well (and do you use something different then root for the name of ... If hackers are the reason to rename directories, ... Once a hacker got in, as you said, he has no reason ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: LLLarry getting ripped on TGC Forums
    ... He is no better or worse than any other hacker. ... The reason people get on ... him is he lies about his scores and handicap, ...
    (rec.sport.golf)