RE: important errors to control with swatch

I agree... Not only is it very hard to find tools, but yes, you do have to
create your own RegEx filters.

I use SEC to monitor a "combined" log from my central syslog server and have
to, at times, create new filters for it. The good thing is that there are
some "generic" filters already available... For instance, Linux based
failures or events such as:

reboot
su
sshd accept / failure
etc.

Then you still would have to create custom filters for your specific devices
and routers etc.

I use SEC to pipe the output of the trap to a CLI email program which is
very easy to use. I make the program email my account, and for serious
issues, email my cell phone as a SMS Text Message.

It's not hard... It just takes a little bit of time.

People could create a repository of 'tested' RegEx filters for devices and
make that publicly available...

--
Reynold McGuire