Re: mail antivirus

Mircea,

1) DSPAM - very effective, it learns what is spam and what is not and continues to learn so it adapts to different styles of spam. Learning is very fast and false positives are virtually nil (in fact I can't remember the last time I had one - I'm talking many months, if not years). I have arranged for spam to be automatically moved to a separate 'Junk' folder on an IMAP server based on DSPAM's classification using a simple sieve script. However I still monitor the junk folder just in case, but it's hardly worth it and I could probably simply delete these mails.

2) SQLGrey - (not actually a SPAM filter, I use it front of and in- conjunction with DSPAM). Highly effective and as unobtrusive as a greylisting solution can be. Occasionally annoying having to wait a few minutes for emails from a new source (eg site registration emails), but the number of spams that simply get dropped, makes it very worthwhile.

I now get approximately 15 spam emails a day (as opposed to 200 a day) and these are mostly to postmaster, hostmaster, webmaster, etc RFC addresses to my domains. Only the occasional spam is to my real email address and this address I have used for over 10 years and posted to usenet, mailing lists and used for pretty much everything (i.e. I've not been overly careful with it).

Hope that helps,

Steve