Re: understanding chkrootkit and rkhunter logs

About /lib/init/rw/.ramfs: I also suffer from daily false-positive mails.
Seems like it's a bad behavior which should be fixed...

http://stereo.lu/chkrootkit-finds-libinitrwramfs-on-debian-etch

- Oren

Hi,
I'm sorry for asking a totally newbie question but I haven't found an
answer to this. I'm really curious and concerned about what is reported by
the chkrootkit and rkhunter on my Debian Etch home server.

Here's what I get when I run them:

CHKROOTKIT:

Searching for suspicious files and dirs, it may take a while...
/usr/lib/xulrunner/.autoreg
/lib/init/rw/.ramfs

Checking `sniffer'... lo: not promisc and no packet sniffer sockets
eth0: PACKET SNIFFER(/sbin/dhclient[2181])

In the system mail I also get this:

/etc/cron.daily/chkrootkit:
The following suspicious files and directories were found:
/usr/lib/xulrunner/.autoreg
/lib/init/rw/.ramfs

eth0: PACKET SNIFFER(/sbin/dhclient[2136])

RKHUNTER reports this:

* Filesystem checks
Checking /dev for suspicious files... [ OK ]
Scanning for hidden files... [ Warning!
]
---------------
/etc/.pwd.lock /dev/.static
/dev/.udev
/dev/.initramfs
/dev/.initramfs-tools
Please inspect: /dev/.static (directory) /dev/.udev (directory)
/dev/.initramfs (directory)

Is this something to be worried about? How can I investigate further into
these two issues?

Thanks,
Ale.

Relevant Pages