Re: Did I get hacked?

... ciao:

: on "2-11-2007" "Grant" writ:
: my /home/grant/vmware folder have suddenly disappeared.
: I haven't noticed anything else strange yet.
: configure and start shorewall for the first time yesterday
: using a few iptables commands from the Gentoo Home Router Guide, and

i read that, and suspect you rushed into something before you were
prepared for the challenges it preesents. installing a firewall "after"
something goes "WRONG" is not likely to be much help.

"haven't noticed", begs a question about what you chose to inspect in
search of an answer. that is important, but doesn't matter. unless you
can say with absolute confidence that you haven't been compromised, you'd
be "smart" to assume you have.

were it me, i'd rebuild the system, and install the firewall before
exposing the system to the internet.

finally, i recall having read something about codecs that were
problematic, and if memory serves, allowed arbitrary code execution ...

--
... i'm a man, but i can change,
if i have to , i guess ...

Relevant Pages

  • Re: (Somewhat OT) Bittorrent clients
    ... You never have to install software on a Mac? ... Every time you save a document you are installing it then... ... It's only common sense to use a firewall, ... to run a web server, database server, file server, application server, ...
    (rec.arts.anime.misc)
  • Re: Ok Here is the thing
    ... >> Uninstall any software you no longer use or cannot remember installing ... >> Windows XP, I suggest you clean up your system first. ... I am not going to say Microsoft ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
  • Re: Win Firewall off briefly
    ... Sorry to be so wordy, but this may be the last I can try to assist you becuase from what I've read in your post, you are dismally protected from malware due to the way you use the computer and a lack of facilities to keep Security levels in place. ... I can even see the possibility now that the off/on of the firewall could be a game controlling the firewall and exposing one or several or all ports to the public. ... And since it's a media center machine, only recover it using the mfr's instructions or you could lose the media center features. ... Go to the MS support web stie and get the instructions and preps and requirements for installing SP3. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Online Arrmor
    ... One reason I hear rather frequently is that personal firewall would tell ... limited user privileges, the OS nags you until you update automatically ... (Don't get me wrong, I'm a Firefox user myself, but IE in Protected Mode ... As long as users are capable of installing their own software, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)