Re: AW: Re: Selecting OS for High-availability/mission-critical web p ortal

On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 20:13 +0100, Gruber Christoph wrote:
Hi all!

If you want to build up a web server with these requirements, you won`t be
satisfied with any distro.
I think you will need to build up your binaries on your own.
A critical server won`t have any paket manager at all.
And other reqs like a statically linked kernel build for your hardware isn`t
found in an distro.
So, help yourself and build up from source. Maybe LFS will help you.

Best regards.

Tbh, I totally disagree here. LFS is nice to get started when learning
linux, but for a critical servers you need some sort of package
management and well maintained repository. You cannot spend your time
updating and compiling software and fixing patches every time there is
an update whilst the next zlib/ssl exploits are floating around the net.
One thing I do agree with is creating a custom kernel suited for your
hardware.

I think the basis for a mission critical server is its hardware. Make
sure you select hardware wich is well known and widely supported for the
distro you intend to run. Don't choose exotic hardware raid cards just
because they might work good. Choose the one wich has the best drivers.
The same goes for all other hardware offcourse.

Now for the distro to choose there is a wide variety which can be used.
Whatever your needs are, pick a distro with good support. Depending on
what kind of server you need to run choices could be (but are not
limited to) Openbsd for firewalls/security, Solaris for stability and
support, Debian for feature richness or Redhat Enterprise for a large
hardware base and its support.
If pure stability is the only factor in my decision I would go for
Openbsd or Solaris and choose hardware which is 'known-to-be-good' for
those platforms.

I hope this helps a little.

Regards,

Jeroen Simonetti
Network Manager

Denit Internet Services BV

* Murder is contrary to the laws of man and God. -- M-5 Computer, "The
Ultimate Computer", stardate 4731.3 *

Relevant Pages

  • Re: openSUSE as small bussiness server
    ... hardware support for current systems. ... decade and they have hardware support. ... The other 8.2 server is old-ish Dell ca 2001. ... Most of my customers are small to medium size. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: ? Debian on dual-socket Xeon server hardware
    ... When buying "experienced" hardware I always tell people to ... But I assume you are asking about hardware support. ... requirements are minimal since you won't be running an X server. ... I avoid using an onboard raid controller unless you have a spare one. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Why upgrade to SBS2008
    ... Just to comment on a minor part of your post - IMO the winding down of SBS 2003 support is a valid consideration in your scenario. ... You're getting ready to put a major time investment into moving to new hardware, and in my opinion, you'll get more mileage out of the installation if you use the currently shipping version. ... I'm not rushing to upgrade my perfectly functioning SBS 2003 before my normal hardware refresh cycle, but if I were replacing hardware anyway, it would never occur to me to stand up the new server with an old platform version. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Openserver 5.07 and a medical practice
    ... hardware failure creates a crisis, as I figure most hardware is good ...  The OS on our server is OS 5.07. ... support for their product given Sco's ... an arbitrary virtualization server. ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: Migration from Windows Server 2000
    ... the potential losses in support and just plain 'stuffin ... to near 'as-is' condition and now having a copy in virtual hardware. ... finding 'OHHH, and now _this_ is referring to the old server, how do we fix ... The SBS2k3 install can be stopped after just the OS stage and enter ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)