From: listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Ronald MacDonald
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2006 11:08 PM
To: Mohammad Halawah
Cc: focus-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Selecting OS for High-availability/mission-critical web

Hi Mohammad,

Not meaning to turn this into a "my distro's better than yours"
thread, but for stability and security, I'd recommend having a serious
look at Debian. It's easily stripped down to its most essential
components for a nice small footprint and is easy to keep up to date
with the apt system. As for performance, I suppose every
implementation of a distro varies, but I'd it's is pretty adequate.

In terms of hardening the OS, there's obviously a few ways to go about
it. The most foolproof way is just "don't do anything stupid" - don't
run any services you don't need, don't bother with gimmicky
applications, just leave it all at the bare minimum. Also, there's a
lot of good reading out there (more so with linux) as regards to
hardening the OS. Incidentally, Bastille springs to mind - it's a good
starting point to hardening your system.

Corey A. Johnson
Creative Network Innovations
1-800-264-5547 ** 1-321-259-1984

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Solaris zones vs Linux V-Server
    ... Linux VServers? ... read about the solaris zones & containers virtualization and thought ... Despite Sun calling zones a virtualization technology it's probably ... argument that I should invest the time in installing solaris. ...
  • Re: OpenSolaris Speed VS. Linux.
    ... Solaris Zones are much more like BSD Jails than User ... Mode Linux. ... And, as you probably know, UML ...
  • Re: A brief look at Solaris 10 zones .. my article
    ... It gives Solaris value indeed. ... I'm currently very curious on an article that compares Solaris zones, ... FreeBSD chroot and Linux UML technically. ...
  • Linux Branded zone for Linux 2.6 kernal
    ... I googled running Linux on Solaris, ... a lot of pages about "Linux branded Zones", ...
  • Re: FTC Complaint filed
    ... I am playing around with Solaris and zones, and attempting to run the DOS/Win3.1,'95/98/98SE apps, each in it's own zone if needed, using WINE. ... There's nothing wrong with COBOL but there are a lot of alternatives better suited for quick-and-dirty programming on the PC. ... I have long said, in my opinion and pre-Vista, that Windows 95 was the best OS Microsoft ever made. ...