From: listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Ronald MacDonald
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2006 11:08 PM
To: Mohammad Halawah
Cc: focus-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Selecting OS for High-availability/mission-critical web
portal

Hi Mohammad,

Not meaning to turn this into a "my distro's better than yours"
thread, but for stability and security, I'd recommend having a serious
look at Debian. It's easily stripped down to its most essential
components for a nice small footprint and is easy to keep up to date
with the apt system. As for performance, I suppose every
implementation of a distro varies, but I'd it's is pretty adequate.

In terms of hardening the OS, there's obviously a few ways to go about
it. The most foolproof way is just "don't do anything stupid" - don't
run any services you don't need, don't bother with gimmicky
applications, just leave it all at the bare minimum. Also, there's a
lot of good reading out there (more so with linux) as regards to
hardening the OS. Incidentally, Bastille springs to mind - it's a good
starting point to hardening your system.

Regards,
Ronald.

--
Ronald MacDonald
http://www.rmacd.com/

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Selecting OS for High-availability/mission-critical web portal
    ... Debian & 3rd party integrator or RedHat Enterprise. ... But get vendor support, from experts, no matter how confident you are with your linux knowledge. ... with the apt system. ... In terms of hardening the OS, there's obviously a few ways to go about ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • Re: Selecting OS for High-availability/mission-critical web portal
    ... thread, but for stability and security, I'd recommend having a serious ... look at Debian. ... with the apt system. ... In terms of hardening the OS, there's obviously a few ways to go about ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • Re: Debian: A noob query
    ... need to do a job that requires 'dependable' software, I use Debian. ... Try out several distros of Linux that are run from a 'Live CD/DVD'. ... is much easier than doing an install and experimenting on your machine. ... Ah well, I try that one too...., but I have to download that too after ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Re: oh no something is definitly wrong adieu debian.
    ... If he hasn't taken such a project called GNU, we may have used only freeBSD and its kernel and may not be Linux. ... But after a couple years I found myself drawn to Debian Testing as the Arch developers have begun to take a fiercely arrogant attitude and a "we know better than you, so shut up" tone toward anyone who would question some of their decisions. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Install Report from a Linux newbie - some comments
    ... Linux & Unix newbie that chose Debian to start playing ... my powerbook (I was installing linux on an old Aptiva ...
    (Debian-User)