Re: Selecting OS for High-availability/mission-critical web portal

Ronald MacDonald escribió:
Hi Mohammad,

If you are going to build a highly available & CRITICAL system, get vendor support. You can choose: Debian & 3rd party integrator or RedHat Enterprise (or SuSE). But get vendor support, from experts, no matter how confident you are with your linux knowledge.

Greetings

Javier

Not meaning to turn this into a "my distro's better than yours"
thread, but for stability and security, I'd recommend having a serious
look at Debian. It's easily stripped down to its most essential
components for a nice small footprint and is easy to keep up to date
with the apt system. As for performance, I suppose every
implementation of a distro varies, but I'd it's is pretty adequate.

In terms of hardening the OS, there's obviously a few ways to go about
it. The most foolproof way is just "don't do anything stupid" - don't
run any services you don't need, don't bother with gimmicky
applications, just leave it all at the bare minimum. Also, there's a
lot of good reading out there (more so with linux) as regards to
hardening the OS. Incidentally, Bastille springs to mind - it's a good
starting point to hardening your system.

Regards,
Ronald.