Re: Selecting OS for High-availability/mission-critical web portal

Hi there

FreeBSD has very fast TCP stack and very nice "jail" (much better
than chroot()) so it might better choice,
however personally i prefer linux with grsecurity patch
(few times grsec saved my ass :)
Anyway - IMHO OS is just a matter of taste/experience,
I think - You should choose the one U feel better with,
on HA system You won't have time to learn.

Just my 0.02$

sm0q

Relevant Pages

  • Re: FTP guest access chroot not working
    ... the "root" dir for the chroot is /home/someguy/ftp ... # chroot ftp users ... cannot get out of that jail. ... if you created a symlink inside the jail that points to some real ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: groupadd -R problem
    ... When I want to add a group to the system, I usually specify the name ... with the vigr command, as well, but you have to remember to type ... file (in the file specified as the chroot directory for the jail) to ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: /devices jailbreak
    ... however as duplicating device special files does /not/ ... processes in a chroot env will ... duplicates in the chrootjail ultimately lead to the same actual ... But that path will be in the chrootjail, as far as the jailed process ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: /devices jailbreak
    ... processes in a chroot env will ... outside the chroot environment will of course report the device paths ... within the jail as a normal user with the restricted Korn ... directory tree, as expected, except for a couple /devices files ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re[2]: FreeBSD on Xserve?
    ... >> If original author wants to mature OS with MAC and SMP support SELinux ... Linux does not have jails. ... but AFAIK UML is not same thing as jail. ...
    (freebsd-hackers)