Re: Selecting OS for High-availability/mission-critical web portal

Hi Mohammad,

Not meaning to turn this into a "my distro's better than yours"
thread, but for stability and security, I'd recommend having a serious
look at Debian. It's easily stripped down to its most essential
components for a nice small footprint and is easy to keep up to date
with the apt system. As for performance, I suppose every
implementation of a distro varies, but I'd it's is pretty adequate.

In terms of hardening the OS, there's obviously a few ways to go about
it. The most foolproof way is just "don't do anything stupid" - don't
run any services you don't need, don't bother with gimmicky
applications, just leave it all at the bare minimum. Also, there's a
lot of good reading out there (more so with linux) as regards to
hardening the OS. Incidentally, Bastille springs to mind - it's a good
starting point to hardening your system.

Regards,
Ronald.

--
Ronald MacDonald
http://www.rmacd.com/

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Selecting OS for High-availability/mission-critical web portal
    ... If linux was a must then I would personally use Debian. ... with the apt system. ... In terms of hardening the OS, there's obviously a few ways to go about ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • Re: Selecting OS for High-availability/mission-critical web portal
    ... Debian & 3rd party integrator or RedHat Enterprise. ... But get vendor support, from experts, no matter how confident you are with your linux knowledge. ... with the apt system. ... In terms of hardening the OS, there's obviously a few ways to go about ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • Re: Stellite retailer???
    ... Are you talking about just hardening the ... This is what it takes for -me- to heat up a butcher knife... ... All homemade junk that's older than r.k. ... playing a torch along the edge--I think Bob Engnath used to recommend ...
    (rec.knives)