Re: Red Hat vs Debian Linux: overall security

Wednesday, 29 November 2006 02:06, Graeme Fowler wrote:
From that, can you derive that Redhat is less secure than Debian?
No. You can only derive that there are more CVE entries for "redhat"
than there are for "debian", but with no more granularity than that.

You've also got to consider the number of packages included in the
distribution (and the number of package "normally" installed, whatever
that may be), the number of architectures supported, and reporting

Vulnerability reports are not meant for assessing the overall security
of a distribution. Trying to use it for that purpose will not produce
meaningful results.

Alex Nordstrom
Please do not CC me in followups; I am subscribed to focus-linux.