Re: Red Hat vs Debian Linux: overall security

Wednesday, 29 November 2006 02:06, Graeme Fowler wrote:
From that, can you derive that Redhat is less secure than Debian?
No. You can only derive that there are more CVE entries for "redhat"
than there are for "debian", but with no more granularity than that.

You've also got to consider the number of packages included in the
distribution (and the number of package "normally" installed, whatever
that may be), the number of architectures supported, and reporting
practises.

Vulnerability reports are not meant for assessing the overall security
of a distribution. Trying to use it for that purpose will not produce
meaningful results.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/

  • Re: Debian has turned unusable.
    ... post before blaming Debian for your problems. ... and the packaging method was unique among all linux deriatives ... > I then tried to figure out how to update those packages i need in ... distribution, not just one package. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: What is more detailled than $^O ?
    ... different trees depending of the specific linux distribution (actually: ... Ubuntu, Debian, Red Hat Ent, Fedora and Suse, but more in future). ... simple database saying server #1 is under Debian, ... I'm looking for and our packages will run whatever be the config. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: Desktop user: Etch or the next testing?
    ... I'd rather have Debian stay the ... stable distro it is than worry about having everything "up to date". ... whatever distribution I choose. ... customize his/her system and maintain packages with almost no trouble. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Debian has turned unusable.
    ... Sorry you couldn't be bothered to ask questions or learn about Debian ... 3rd party Debian packages, even packages for other ... .deb-based distros, Just Workin other Debian-based distros. ... > distribution, which is to provide users with a decent linux system ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Fedora Extras is extra
    ... BTW Some Red Hat packages used to have similar things ... > external contraints allow you to bend to work inside what fedora ... > but not their own infrastructure for distribution. ... Fedora Extras will have the same policy. ...
    (Fedora)