Re: How to check UID of process on the other side of local TCP/UDP connection

Filipe Varela wrote:

Anyways, I would prefer to stick with TCP/UDP, because this is
what my
programs use already, and I don't really want to change
everything to
Unix sockets (unless of course Unix sockets are the only good way to
resolve my problems).

I don't want to go off-topic but i have an important question. Isn't
a socket a concept that translates an address and port? How would
someone go about doing tcp/udp without sockets when they both depend
on address/port mappings which are _literally_ sockets?

Am i wrong?

I think that you misunderstood.

By "Unix sockets", he was referring to using Unix-domain sockets
(AF_LOCAL) rather than TCP/IP sockets (AF_INET).

Unix-domain sockets have the advantage that you can obtain the
identity (PID, UID, GID) of the peer from the OS.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Relevant Pages