Re: Red Hat vs Debian Linux: overall security

Debian is _huge_

cmpalmer@ltsp:~/Desktop$ cat allpackages.en.txt |wc -l
17498

...and is much more community-oriented (ie. there are vulnerabilities
in little-used apps that are maintained by a volunteer and not a paid
developer). BTW, you're talking about RHEL, right?

It would make much more sense to compare them apples-to-apples by
narrowing your focus to a minimal install plus certain very common
apps (such as apache).

I'm not saying they're equivalent in terms of security. I'm just
saying that the comparison based on www.securityfocus.com/bid is not a
realistic one.

-CMP

On 27 Nov 2006 17:44:30 -0000, tjanas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx