Re: Red Hat vs Debian Linux: overall security

On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 17:44 +0000, tjanas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I am evaluating the overall security of Red Hat linux vs Debian. I've been told that Debian has many more vulnerabilities than Red Hat. I've also been told that Red Hat is quicker to release security patches than Debian is for the "stable" release. Can someone point me to a good overall assessment of the two? Using this tool: www.securityfocus.com/bid I see that Debian has 17 pages worth of issues but Red Hat has surprisingly few. Am I misinterpreting the results from this tool?

Debian contains _MUCH_ more software packages than Red Hat, so to be
fair you'd have to take that into account.
A distribution that have 3x more packages will most likely have to issue
many more advisories/patches.