Re: about /dev/shm?

Monty Ree wrote:
Hello, all.

As you know, /dev/shm is 1777 and attackers used to write his backdoors
at that directory.
So I have saw the partition for some time and I can't see any creation
of the files.
So I changed this permission to 755, and there was no problem.

1. What's the role of the /dev/shm?
shm means shared memory?

2. Why this directory must be 1777?
Is there any problem when I change the permission to like 755?

You'll lose Posix shared memory is all. Perhaps changing the mount to a
noexec,nosuid,nodev mount makes
more sense, without breaking anything.

Anything using shmget should be ok.

--Thomas.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Debian Setup Accessing NTFS
    ... > going but i have a problem i cant figure out how to mount my NTFS ... > partition with my music and videos on it so i can watch them in linux ... And what happened to compiling and loading an ntfs kernel module, ... Then give yourself permission. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: problems with the permissions for /mnt/windows parition
    ... in my /etc/fstab to fix my problem, and the result was that I still had ... I realized that I had to mount /mnt/windows ... partition manually as a root. ... permission and read permission as a user and I realized that the user ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: mounting ext3 drive with R/W permission???
    ... new 20GB and created a one whole partition and formatted to ext3 ... I can't mount the drive with the permission to write by other users. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: NFS AIX 5.3 (5300-04-00) & Windows 2003 STD SP1
    ... Not set user mapping - only set IP permissions - no nided user mapping and ... change permission for folder c:\ ... mount: 1831-008 giving up on: ... Folder permission: ...
    (comp.unix.aix)
  • Re: Cant Mount my USB Disk R/W [Was Slow USB disk]
    ... /etc/fstab, what does the mount command you are using look like, etc. ... ^ Group write permission ... To mount it I do (as root or as user) mount /dev/sdb1, ... I don't run kde so have no idea how you would fix it. ...
    (Debian-User)