about /dev/shm?

Hello, all.

As you know, /dev/shm is 1777 and attackers used to write his backdoors at that directory.
So I have saw the partition for some time and I can't see any creation of the files.
So I changed this permission to 755, and there was no problem.

1. What's the role of the /dev/shm?
shm means shared memory?

2. Why this directory must be 1777?
Is there any problem when I change the permission to like 755?
Thanks in advance.

MSN Messenger를 통해 온라인상에 있는 친구와 대화를 나누세요. http://messenger.msn.co.kr

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Permission
    ... mounted and I see the icons for both. ... Error msg says I do not have permission. ... You could make a directory on the partition as root ... Anyway the concern that persists is permission related. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: "encypted" partition after format of OS: all files hidden. permana
    ... > i have a partition that i stored data in, ... > permission to only allow me (the admin) to access it. ... Which Groups did you deny? ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: [SLE] Undeletable files/directory
    ... > /data1 which I cannot delete even as root. ... > delete is Permission denied. ... > The files are only visible using mc (Midnight Commander) and are ... > Short of reformatting the partition, how may I delete these files? ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Moving the /Home Partition, Permission Issues.
    ... Moving the /Home Partition, Permission Issues. ... rearrange some partitions in preparation. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: MFT corruption issue and permissions
    ... not have permission to access folders or files. ... One of my colleagues discovered that the partition only had root ... I have 2 partitions on the same array. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)